Wednesday 5 February 2014

Mentholatum - Organic Lip Balm ( Lavender and Orange) review

Dear Beauty Diary,
I haven't been blogging for such a long time. O.o Do forgive me. >.< Anyway, today, I am back with a post on an organic lipbalm by Mentholatum. Its certified organic too, so no worries for all you organic lovers. By the way, Mentholatum is a very famous company, and its products from many of its sub-brands have delivered good results. Heard of the famous Hada Labo? Its by Mentholatum. Oxy? Mentholatum again. Acnes? Mentholatum. Sunplay? Mentholatum. LipIce? Mentholatum.

Now that you've got a good introduction, read ahead for my take on this lipbalm!



I got the Lavender and Orange flavoured one. There's also a Berry flavoured one available. Its sold in Guardian, Watsons, Unity, etc for around $8 (USD $6.30). That's pretty pricey for a drugstore lip balm. However, this is certified organic, so I guess the little bit of extra money is worth it.

As you can tell, this lipbalm comes in a stick form. Being in a stick form, its hygienic and easy to use. However, stick forms usually mean that you don't get a ton of product. :( There's only 3.5g worth of product you're getting.


Swatch of the lip balm. As you can tell, its clear. The balm applies smoothly and evenly.

This lip balm takes some time to sink into the lips. For example, whenever I apply it on at night, I wake up with a thin layer of waxy butter on my lips. It did sink in, but not all of it got absorbed by my lips. By the way, I get my 7 hours of beauty sleep daily. Just saying, in case you're wondering if it doesn't sink in cos I only sleep for an hour or so. Haha. xD

I have very very dry lips that crack every day. Its so bad that strips of dried skin from my lips peel off and hang down in long disgusting layers. Guys run a mile from me when they see the condition of my lips. I understand. Who likes kissing a dried up thing? Urrgh gross. Because of this, I am a lip balm hoarder. Unfortunately, nothing, and I mean nothing at all, does the job for me. :'( That includes this lip balm.

It has gentle and safe ingredients, so I assumed it would be the lip balm that would finally help with my lips. Nah. It didn't sink in, not even after I'd exfoliated my lips. No matter how much (4 layers) or little (1 layer) I apply, it still doesn't sink in much. A small percentage of it did get absorbed, but after that, it left my lips feeling and looking drier than ever. Maybe this balm would work for those with normal lip conditions? But it definitely doesn't work for those with very dry, chapped lips. In fact, it just makes it worse. Sighs.

To me, this lip balm smells like fresh orange peels, with a hint of lavender thrown in. Quite a relaxing and soothing smell. Its not captivating and sultry and all, but it does draw you in. Not bad for a scent.

Oh, I forgot to say that this lip balm does not melt in strong heat. I mean, it will melt in high temperatures, but if you keep it in your pocket with your body heat and all, it won't melt. Still stays well together, so no worries.

Overall, this lip balm doesn't do much for me. It might be a holy grail for some, but it simply dries out my lips, and most of it doesn't even sink in. I'm disappointed, since this is a certified organic lip balm, and I had high hopes for it. I've tried loads of lip balms, from LipIce, Etude House, Burt's Bees, The Body Shop, etc. They used to work in the past, not until my lips started becoming so chapped recently. Not sure if its because of winter. However, Singapore has no winter, its summer all year long. Anyway, my lips are so dry, none of the balms help me anymore.

Does anyone have good, moisturising lip balms for chapped lips that actually work? Please share, I'm getting desperate. In fact, I've decided to give Badger's lip balms a go. I'm so devastated they don't ship outside US. Please do so, Badger. I promise you your legion of fans in the world will hoard your products like crazy, and your sales will double. xD I really want to try the cocoa butter ones from Badger, especially since the Vanilla Bean one sounds so moisturising and delicious! *Drools~* Anyway, I'm heading to the few Unity stores in Singapore that do sell Badger. However, only the classic lip balms are available. Guess I'll have to make do. I have high hopes, Badger products simply don't disappoint. Stay tuned! ;)

No comments: